Labor Day, celebrated the first Monday in September, is a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
As tribute and really the last “summer” holiday, many of us spend the extended holiday weekend going outside. Dershimer Insurance wants you to be safe whether it is on the water, grilling with friends or family or traveling on the road. Here are a few tips to remember.
1) If you are boating or on the water, remember to have life jackets for every person on the boat. The U.S. Coast Guard estimates that life jackets could have saved the lives of over 80 percent of boating fatality victims. So don’t become a statistic and wear a life jacket!
2) DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE. Repeat DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE. Don’t drink while operating a boat, a vehicle, atv or anything that moves. It is not worth risking your life and lives of others.
3) If you are grilling, keep children and pets away from the grill. Remove grease or fat build up from the grill to reduce chances of it catching on fire.
4) If you decide to hit the road for a long weekend away, be sure you are well rested and alert. Be sure to buckle up and obey speed limits. Once again, do the not drink and drive.
5) Any other outdoor activities, pay attention to the weather. If it is lightning, find shelter immediately. If you are outside for more than 30 minutes, be sure to use sunscreen and keep hydrated.
6) Have fun and relax. But if something does go wrong, have your emergency contact & insurance information on hand.
HAPPY LABOR DAY!
Dershimer Insurance offers boat insurance, marine insurance, atv insurance, auto insurance, home insurance, health insurance and more. To talk to one of our experts, call 863-299-8330.