Fourth of July is almost here! Time to break out the fireworks and have a little fun. At Dershimer Insurance Agency, we hope you have lots of fun but please remember these safety tips when lighting fireworks!
1) Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the risk of fireworks injury is highest for young people ages 15-24, followed by children under 10.
2) Light only one device at a time in an open area and at safe distance from your friends and family. Avoid areas with tall, dry grass and with flammable objects.
3) Keep a bucket of water nearby. Douse any unused fireworks or duds before discarding. Also have nearby in case of a small fire.
4) Never ignite fireworks in a glass container. An exploding glass could cause even more injury.
5) When buying fireworks, make sure they are legal. Read the instructions before lighting specialty fireworks to make sure you properly ignite them.